ѡ ֻ | ʵ԰
ǰλ: »̳ ʾ Ǣ̸
б ظ


30|ظ 0
  2020-6-28 16:18:13 |Ķģʽ
Wimmera meeting hears gm crops fears amid reports farmers have been told to plant more to help cope with the severe drought in California

A Goulburn mother has spoken of her worry over how her family was expected to cope with a severe winter for maize, wheat and other crops.

A week ago, a meeting of the Australian Council for Agricultural Research (ACARB) committee was told that farmers needed to increase the amount of gm planted to help cope with a severe drought in California and the threat of future droughts.

Ruth Williams, who grows gm crops for her family on Goulburn's Lower Mainland, said she was worried about how her family could cope with the long, dry winters.

"I was very worried about whether they're expecting enough gm or if it's not enough or how we're going to manage the winter without going to extremes," Ms Williams said.

Her family's gm crops - wheat, barley, maize and peas - will depend on how quickly they can get to market during the harsh autumn months of September and October after a summer of drought.

"It's been an awful three years with very heavy rain and we just don't get to that height of our crops," Ms Williams said.

"And last year was when our crop was on par with last year and we were already anticipating three weeks of dry weather in August and September.

"We thought that could happen with a bit of rainfall on top of that, but we're probably not going to be able to get through this weather until we do all the heavy rain we need to.

"So there's a lot of worries about our ability to manage that with the level of rainfall and the temperatures out there."

Ms Williams said she was worried they would go into drought without enough gm when the cold was coming in.

"We had no water supply, we don't have a road because we've got an irrigation pit, our crops have to grow at that height without shade. I was trying to get out in that hot heat as little as possible to get through it.

"It was pretty hard."

Ms Williams said she tried to make sure the family got enough water in a special container in the greenhouse so they were able to take out the heavy water when they needed it.

But the temperature outside was already over 90 degrees Celsius when they set up the greenhouse. They were at the bottom end of the temperature scale on their own level at the time.

"We didn't know what day it would be, just when we get up to get some water. There's a big gap in there, especially in the middle where the window is, which is a big problem," Ms Williams sai



Family sues hospital surgeon over wagga base death

A man has sued the University of Wisconsin Medical Center and the hospital's hospital director for allegedly failing to properly treat his severe brain tumor before its death.

In an affidavit filed Wednesday, David Chatterman, who had cancer treatment in Huntsville, said his doctors were told he could die soon. At his request, he was transferred to one of the hospital's outpatient unit in June because he did not qualify for other treatment, Chatterman said. Chatterman underwent surgery there July 12 and was pronounced dead four days later.

Dr. Scott J. Smith, who led the team that had treated Chatterman and the hospital in 2011-12, told his department staff in January that the tumor was incurable and the doctor couldn't save him, according to a memo obtained by the Associated Press. Chatterman's cause of death was not disclosed, but the hospital said in a statement Monday that he had died from complications from his cancer treatment.

Chatterman said he was informed by the hospital that the doctors had a plan in place to move him to a hospice care facility. After receiving a referral to the hospital, Chatterman and his wife were transferred to the outpatient unit on Feb. 7. Chatterman said he arrived there at about 1 p.m. to find a note in his room in the ER saying his brain tumor had been removed, and that he would be transferred to an experimental unit of Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Chicago, according to Chatterman's affidavit. A medical examiner ruled in his favor that night and Chatterman was transferred to the experimental unit two days later.

Chatterman said an employee at one point told him a specialist had treated him and his family. But the hospital told him no one at the hospital had treated Chatterman's family and that he should continue to seek medical attention, Chatterman's affidavit said.

Chatterman asked for more time and a doctor's visit, but Chatterman was told that he would not be transferred to the experimental unit because he was in hospice care at the time, the affidavit said.

He had tried to receive treatment before, Chatterman said. His wife, Kelly, had a stomach ulcer in late August that required multiple surgeries and doctors in Huntsville told her he would only survive about six months, according to the affidavit. But Chatterman still wanted to try treatment for his stomach ulcer, and his health improved enough that his family could afford to treat his liver problems, Chatterman said. In December, Chatterman was moved to the experimental unit, and he remained there until Jan. 10, when Chatterman died, the affidavit said.

A hospital spokeswoman coul


б ظ
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies |ϴ


ض ע΢ APP б